14 Dec 2018

Firefighters said the blaze, which destroyed the boiler, was started by an overloaded extension cable



Firefighters have warned homeowners to be mindful of electrical safety after a blaze caused by an overloaded cable which destroyed a boiler.

One fire engine from Birchwood and one from Warrington were sent to tackle the fire, which occurred at a house on Colebrook Close in Birchwood shortly after 00.15am yesterday morning (Thursday, December 13).

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Firefighters were called to a fire involving a central heating boiler in a garage of a domestic property on Colebrook Close, Birchwood.

“Crews, two wearing breathing apparatus, extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet. The fire was started by an overloaded electrical extension cable. Crews were at the scene for an hour.”

Firefighters said the boiler fire was caused by an overloaded extension cable

The boiler was gutted by the fire and the Fire Service used the incident to highlight the dangers of overloading electrical sockets, issuing a safety warning on their Twitter account.

Link to original article

Subscribe to receiveall the latest updates on regulation and legislation

Join our newsletter & mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our experts.

You have Successfully Subscribed!